Western Digital Elements Play is a multimedia player which comes with built-in storage of upto 2TB. This media player can play almost any audio/video formats and is capable of playing 1080p Full HD Videos on Televisions which support Full HD playback.
I have been using this multimedia drive for almost 3 weeks now. It’s a media player which comes with 2TB built-in HDD for storing files and folders. One can store any type of file just like you do in the HDD or Pendrive. This player can be connected to the LCDs and LEDs for playing movies, music and slideshow of the images directly from the wd elements play.
The Good -
1. Supports most of the media formats.
2. Easy to setup.
3. Files can be transferred just like you transfer them to any other HDD or pendrive.
4. Can play subtitles.
5. Comes with a small functional remote.
6. Looks good next to the Television.
7. It has the ability to resume videos from where they were left last time.
8. Comes with a USB port for playing media directly from your pen drive in Full HD format.
The Bad -
1. HDMI cable and AV composite cable are not included in the box.
2. Can play most of the formats but it is unable to play the sound of most of the .mkv files.
3. Does not show thumbnails for videos.
4. The graphic user interface is simple but boring.
5. External power supply is needed.
Supported Formats -
Video – AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPEG/MPG, ISO/VOB, MOV/MP4 (h.264, MPEG4), MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), TS/TP/M2TS (MPEG 1/2/4, AVC), FLV (D1 resolution only), RM or RMVB 8/9/10
Audio – MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, WMA, FLAC, OGG, MKA, APE, Dolby Digital (inside video file only).
Image – GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, TIFF
Playlist – M3U, WPL, PLS
Subtitle – SRT, SUB, MKS, TXT, SSA, SMI. Supports subtitles in different languages as well.
The best way to use -
The best way to use WD Elements Play multimedia drive is to create folders and sub-folders for categorizing files on the basis of audio/video and they can be further divided into sub folders on the basis of genre.
What’s in the box -
- Multimedia Drive
- Remote Control
- AC Adapter
- USB Cable
- Quick Install Guide